Just Stop The Abusive Language.
- I am not a hypocrite. Foul language is not foreign to me. If you have played sports, including soccer, for over fifty years, you say and hear plenty of expletives on the court or the field. In many cases, foul language becomes the vernacular of competitive tension and the pressure to overcome.
To me, there is a time and place that using foul language ‘makes sense’ – but NEVER when children are around….and I mean never. This issue has bubbled up over the years with Mexican National Team supporters, who scream a homophobic slur when the opposing goalkeeper takes a goal kick. The word is slang for a male prostitute, and has no place at stadiums filled with families, including children. I am not picking on Mexico or Mexicans. The chanting of profanity at players or referees is stateside as well. The ongoing NBA playoffs witnessed New York Knick fans chanting profanities at one or more Atlanta Hawks’ players. The fans sitting in supporter sections of Major League Soccer teams unleash profanity-laced chants that to me are uncomfortable at best, especially when I am sitting with fans that include children.
This all has to come to a dead stop. Playing soccer for five decades, I have unleashed my fair share of obscenities, but on the field or court and not in the earshot of children. Again, I am not a hypocrite or shy to the use of foul language, but I feel strongly that this epidemic of fan behavior at arenas and stadiums needs to once and for all come to an immediate stop. Executives from Major League Soccer, the NFL and the NBA: what is your take?
A Swiss Army Knife.
- After putting a decent amount of thought into last week’s post that provided my take on the 2nd Amendment, a California federal judge has overturned California’s ban on assault rifles. He compared the AR-15 assault rifle to a “Swiss Army knife,” the weapon of choice for numerous mass shooters, including in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, the Route 91 Harvest musical festival in Las Vegas, a massacre at a church in Texas, the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, the high school in Parkland, Florida, and the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, among others. I really have nothing else to say in the matter other than the word ‘outrageous.’
Headlines To Ponder.
- There are still people trying to breach the cockpit of an airliner?
- The USA’s Simone Biles. Bar none, the best gymnast ever.
- A Mexican city’s mayoral candidate is wanted by the DEA.
- “Vax for the Win” lotteries.
- The PGA tour’s Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka.
- Florida bans transgender athletes from female sports.
- Kanye West’s Yeezy sneakers sold for $1.8 million.
- Surfing pet goat coolly rides the waves at California beach.
- The Orlando area’s I-4 project will never end. Never.
- Trae Young, Damian Lilliard, and Kawhi Leonard. Fantastic.
- AMC’s valuation is a date with derangement.
- Man accused of killing iguana claims Florida ‘stand your ground’ law.
Pool Design Comes Of Age.
- The question is not whether ideas are crazy, but whether they are crazy enough.